Monday, July 23, 2007

Farewell Harry Potter...


Since Saturday at about 1:30 a.m. I have been deeply engrossed with the new Harry Potter book. We have been HUGE fans since the first book. Jacob was in 1st grade and I got it for him. He had no interest in reading it so I read it and LOVED it! I got him to sit through the first chapter and he was HOOKED! We have eagerly anticipated every book release and movie since. Jacob spent 3 or 4 Halloweens dressed as HP and strongly resembled him for most of his elementary years. He even had HP brand glasses from Target! So it was with excitement and sadness that we entered the Border's party at 9:30 Friday night. There were costumes, potion lessons and wizard duels. It was fun to see the kids, now it jr. high that I have watched grow up through the series, much like Harry. Just a few years ago they were chasing each other around with toy wands shouting hexes and spells at each other. Now they are busy chasing girls and embarrassed by these stories!
So I dived into the book and stayed up the past 3 nights until about 3 a.m. reading. It is the best volume that J.K. has turned out. It is very engrossing and tense from the first chapter. There are a couple of chapters that drag a little but the story line is fairly cohesive. I cried as a I read the final chapter last night. I won't give it a way for anyone that sees this and does not want the ending spoiled but it is the close of nearly a decade of living with these words and characters. I know the buzz is that J.K. will not be writing any more HP books but I still have several questions about how things end up.
There has never been a book that has created this much buzz among kids and it is amazing to see kids reading near 800 page books! not just 1 but 7 of them! wow! that is amazing! I don't know if another series will so intrigue and captivate our kids any time soon. It has been a good run and it is a truly a bittersweet ending--sad that the series has come to an end and we will never again hear of the exploits in the wizarding world and happy that there was one more chance to share the journey of the "boy who lived".

No comments: